||District of Mission
This posting closed on
December 10, 2018
at 4:30 PM
||2018-23 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Engineering & Public Works Department
||Employees in this position perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks relating to the construction, installation, operation, maintenance and repair of all municipal water, sanitary and storm utilities. Employees in this class assist and/or perform in all aspects of work pertaining to water, sanitary and storm utilities. This work requires considerable effort and agility in the performance of a variety of manual duties. Incumbents will exercise independent judgement commensurate with their level of education, training, and overall understanding of the operation of municipal utilities. Unusual or more complex situations are reviewed with a supervisor to determine the appropriate action.
||1. Construct, install, operate, maintain and repair standard residential utilities infrastructure (up to 25 mm diameter for water, 100 mm diameter sanitary, up to 150 mm diameter storm) and meters; repair and maintain manholes, catchbasins, fire hydrants.
2. Assist in the installation of catchbasins and manholes.
3. Drills and taps mains for new and replacement service connections.
4. Perform cement work related to building and repair of catch basins, manholes and related facilities.
5. Following maintenance or construction activities, prepare the ground or surface area for concrete, asphalt or other finishing work to be performed.
6. Perform duties related to site safety and clean up, including installing warning lamps, barricading ditches and excavations and placing warning signs around work projects.
7. Prepare and maintain a variety of records for: related operational requirements; all installation, repair, and "as constructed" records; customer service responses; service records; other records and reports relevant to assigned tasks.
8. As required, perform support functions including flagging, operating a forklift or other related tasks.
9. Act as a resource person to provide advice and guidance to other crewmembers as required, and make minor operational or logistical decisions about how the work is performed for various related functions; consult with supervisor regarding any concerns in this area.
10. As required, ensure the availability of the necessary materials, tools and equipment to perform assigned tasks.
11. Operate and maintain a variety of equipment and hand tools incidental to the completion of related duties.
12. Provide information related to the performance assessment of new or associated staff.
13. Construct, install, operate, maintain and repair municipal institutional, commercial and industrial infrastructure, including all components of: water, sanitary and storm sewer mains; manholes and catchbasins; water, sanitary and storm sewer service connections; fire hydrants; valves; meters; gauges; plumbing fixtures; and other related components of municipal infrastructure.
14. Performs or assist on complex plumbing, pumping and pressure station installation tasks.
15. Assists in the layout of work pertaining to water and sewer maintenance and repairs.
||Completion of grade 12 or equivalent, supplemented by technical training related to the work along with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in all aspects of municipal pipelaying work or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Completion of course work for Water Distribution System Operator Level 1 and Waste Water Collection System Operation Level 1, as per the BC Environmental Operators Certification program.
Traffic Control Certification.
Valid Forklift Operators certificate.
Valid BC Driver’s License for the equipment operated.
||Demonstrable knowledge of standards in methods and practices pertaining to materials, tools and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of municipal infrastructure, including water, sanitary and storm utilities.
Working knowledge of current applicable Occupational Health & Safety Regulations, safe work practices and procedures, and District bylaws and regulations related to the work being performed.
Ability to perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled manual tasks requiring the use of considerable independent judgment in performing the work.
Ability to work in wet, humid and dirty conditions while subjected to odours, fumes and gases underground in while in such areas as manholes, culverts, pump stations.
Ability to operate and maintain a variety of equipment and hand tools incidental to the completion of related duties.
Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions which may be accompanied by sketches.
Ability to carry out assignments with minimal supervision.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts and to communicate tactfully and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Ability to assist fellow workers as to guidance and proper procedures in all utility projects.
Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to permit performance of heavy manual work outdoors in all weather.
Considerable knowledge of standards in methods and practices pertaining to materials, tools and equipment used in the construction and maintenance of water, sanitary and storm utilities.
Thorough knowledge of current applicable Occupational Health & Safety Regulations, safe work practices and procedures, and District bylaws and regulations related to the work being performed.
Leadership and coaching abilities; ability to provide clear direction to a group of employees while acting as a Charge Hand.
Ability to read construction drawings.
Ability to determine materials needs for projects, using engineering drawings.
Ability to complete as-builds and update existing drawings.
Skill in installing large water, sanitary and storm mains.
||$30.75 per hour (2019 rate) plus a comprehensive benefit package
||We thank all interested candidates however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
||8645 Stave Lake Street, Box 20
Mission BC V2V 4L9
||November 22, 2018 08:30 AM
||December 10, 2018 04:30 PM