|Operations Technician (Full Time)
||City of Chilliwack
This posting closed on
June 4, 2018
at 4:30 PM
||2018-58 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||The incumbent in this class assists management to achieve efficient and economical operation in the maintenance of existing municipal utilities systems as well as assisting management to achieve efficiency in public works and parks operations. The incumbent will also be responsible for the inspection of new construction and installation of revised or additional systems or works according to the national, provincial and municipal laws, codes and regulations and best engineering practices. Under the supervision of the Superintendent Public Works / Parks Operations, the Operations Technician’s duties are performed in accordance with City and engineering policies and project objectives. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring the safety and security of confidential material pertaining to the Department's operation.
||The incumbent will be responsible for performing work of a technical nature related to utilities, and public works and parks which include water supply and distribution, sewage collection and sewage pump stations, roads and drainage systems, parks and recreational trail systems. Technical work may include conducting investigations, surveys, inspections, analysis of data, designs, specifications, drawings, cost estimates and reports. The incumbent may recommend standards for municipal work and for private work related or controlled by municipal bylaws. The incumbent will also make recommendations for work programs, assist in the preparation of budgets, attend committee and other meetings as and when required; write letters, prepare purchase orders, certify invoices and claims for payments, monitor expenditures in relation to budget control, keep records, files and drawings updated and maintain section filing systems. The incumbent will liaise closely with other sections of the Department, particularly with Utility, Public Works and Parks supervisors and Department Maintenance crews. The incumbent will provide assistance and technical information to staff, contractors, consultants, utility companies, developers and the general public, as required. The incumbent will be required to perform other related tasks including supervision of project contractors and employees as assigned. Assignments and responsibilities are performed under supervision and performance is subject to review, inspection and evaluation by the Superintendent Public Works and Parks Operations. The incumbent will be required to attend technical services and training courses relating to utility, public works and parks operations as and when required.
||- Must be a graduate of an Institute of Technology in a two (2) year Civil Engineering or other Program relevant to the function of the role and should have two (2) years experience related municipal operations work, OR an acceptable combination of training and experience;
- Must hold or be eligible to a relevant designation with the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC or other professional licensing body relevant to municipal operations.
||- Sound knowledge of engineering and technical methods, practices and procedures required in the performance of duties of the position;
- Sound knowledge of backflow prevention principles and the BC Plumbing Code and associated practices;
- Sound knowledge of municipal engineering, construction and maintenance operations;
- Computer literate with in-depth working knowledge of computer applications such as Microsoft Office;
- Sound knowledge of national, provincial and municipal laws, bylaws, codes and regulations governing municipal engineering works;
- Able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with developers, contractors, engineers, elected officials, department officials, staff and the general public;
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in written format, with sound knowledge and ability to prepare and present technical and non-technical reports and all forms of general correspondence;
- Able to perform a variety of engineering computations and calculations and interpret a variety of technical data and information;
- Must be in possession of a valid B.C. Driver's Licence.
|| $33.15 - $39.00 per hour (2018 rates)
||The incumbent will normally work the standard work week of Monday to Friday within the hours specified and, on occasion, work overtime as authorized. The incumbent may be required to travel in the performance of duties. The incumbent, upon hiring, will have union dues deducted from source in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
||8550 Young Road
||May 28, 2018 08:30 AM
||June 4, 2018 04:30 PM