|Firefigher (3 Positions) - Regular Full-time
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
May 8, 2018
at 4:30 PM
||18-F001 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Fire Prevention and Public Educations
||Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to over 123,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries; excellent benefit packages; municipal pension plan; employee wellness programs; and, opportunities for professional development and career growth.
We are currently recruiting for 3 full-time Firefighters to join our team in the Protective Services – Fire Division.
Firefighters work as part of a team of career and paid-call firefighters, along with management to achieve an efficient and effective Fire Department. We do this through reliable performance of firefighting, maintenance, education, training and inspection duties and by observing and complying with municipal policies, Department Operational Guidelines and recognized safety practices. While assignments and responsibilities are generally performed under supervision, firefighters must be capable of making decisions and working with limited supervision until a fire officer arrives
Firefighters are expected to actively continue their education and advance their skills and abilities through attendance at courses and regular training sessions.
All required licenses, certificates and/or registrations as indicated below must be valid and current at the time the posting closes and must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Documents are required in the following format: one PDF document (can be black and white) labeled “TOL 18-F001 Documentation”. Document must not exceed 20 Megabytes. Please have these ready to upload when you apply. For the 2018 Firefighter Application Manual which includes details of all requirements for application - please visit https://www.tol.ca/careers/fire-department/ or click here.
REQUIRED LICENCES, CERTIFICATES AND QUALIFICATIONS
• 19 years of age or older (from this bulletin’s close date)
• Diploma, Certificate or Transcripts demonstrating a minimum Grade 12 graduation, GED completion or equivalent –unofficial Transcripts are acceptable. Equivalencies can include a two year diploma, an undergraduate or applied degree or journeyman certificate of a Red Seal Trade Certificate
• Completion of NFPA 1001 Level II certification with appropriate IFSAC/ProBoard Seals
• Completion of NFPA 472 Operations with appropriate IFSAC/ProBoard Seals
• Valid Class 3 or Class 1 Provincial driver's license with air brake endorsement (restriction 15) or equivalent for vehicles with more than 2 axels (Automatic transmission is accepted) – driving record will be considered in the selection process - the driver’s abstract must be obtained within 30 days of application
• Current recognized first aid certificate pertinent to a firefighter and CPR Level C (e.g. First Responder Level III with AED and/or spinal endorsement; Emergency Medical Responder, Occupational First Aid Level 3, paramedic license or equivalent)
• Good physical condition and physically and psychologically suitable for the position of firefighter. Candidates must pass a health and medical evaluation provided by a qualified 3rd party medical professional approved by the Township. The cost for screening will be the responsibility of the candidate. Only candidates who are medically suitable for all firefighting duties will be considered. Please refer to NFPA 1582 Chapter 6 for Medical Suitability
• Current (within 6 months of this bulletin’s close date) Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certificate or University of Alberta Firefighter Applicant Physical Aptitude Evaluation, or University of Victoria Firefighter Physical Abilities Test
• No conviction for a criminal or summary offence related to the job of a firefighter
• Legal entitlement to work in Canada
• Fluency in English (written and verbal)
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
• Completion of advanced Fire Service Training, such as the Fire Prevention Inspector Program, Fire Service Instructor I or II, Fire & Life Safety Educator Level I
• Completion of Fire Service related courses such as auto extrication, rope rescue, confined space, hazardous material or incident command
• Participated in the delivery of Public Fire and Life Safety Education Programs
• Demonstrated knowledge of various applicable codes and standards
• Work/Life skills related to fire fighting
The Fire Department has a residency requirement that is detailed in the Fire Fighter Application Manual in the recruitment process.
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a positions of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidates will be required to have a Police Information Check (PIC) as a condition of employment.
This position is covered by a Collective Agreement with the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF, Local 4550). Starting rate of pay is $30.81 per hour.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers.
The closing date for this competition is by 4:30pm Tuesday, May 8, 2018
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||April 10, 2018 08:30 AM
||May 8, 2018 04:30 PM