|Natural Area Practitioner - Urban Forestry (Temporary)
||City of Surrey
This posting closed on
March 5, 2018
at 4:30 PM
||1977 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Parks, Recreation and Culture
||The City of Surrey’s Urban Forestry – Natural Areas team has a unique full-time temporary job opportunity for someone who is interested in applying their varied experience and skills to meet the challenges of assisting in the management of over 1,500 hectares of forest, shrubland, and grassland.
||• In this position, you will be:
• Supervising, training and reviewing work of junior staff;
• Working on a team or alone with limited office work;
• Completing a variety of manual and semi-skilled tasks including but not limited to:
o trail edge pruning
o invasive plant removal
o planting maintenance (weeding/brushing/mulching)
o planting native trees and shrubs
o refuse and yard waste removal
o tree debris clean-up
o inventorying assets
• Responding to service requests from the public;
• Preparing reports and maintaining records;
• Completing heavy physical work in all weather conditions, requiring sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination;
• Completing other related duties as required.
||Applicants must have:
• Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by successful completion of five additional relevant courses from an approved post-secondary education institution in any of the following course areas Plus a minimum of 2 years of recent experience in the management of natural areas.
o Urban land management
o Wildlife management
• OR Completion of Grade 12 and a Technical Certificate Program (one year full-time) from an approved post-secondary institution, supplemented by 18 months of recent experience in the management of natural areas.
• OR Completion of Grade 12 and completion of a diploma program from an approved post-secondary institution, with a minimum of 6 months recent experience in the management of natural areas.
||The successful applicant:
• Is able to work independently as well as in a team environment and must be physically able to carry out the duties as required;
• Is a logical and analytical thinker in problem-solving situations;
• has superior public relations, interpersonal, communication, organizational and leadership skills.
• As well, the successful applicant should have considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, standards and guidelines using in urban park natural area management.
Applicants will meet the following requirements:
• A valid, unrestricted BC Driver’s license with a safe driving record;
• Experience supervising staff and strong leadership skills;
• Experience performing manual labour;
• Experience with power tools (brush saw, hedge trimmer, backpack blowers, chainsaw) and hand tools (shovels, picks, hand snips, loppers, hand saws);
• Demonstrated ability to identify native and invasive plants;
• Strong public relations, communication and interpersonal skills;
• Strong organizational, time management, record-keeping and computer skills;
• B.C. Industrial Vegetation and Noxious Weed Pesticide Applicator Certificate (to be obtained before the completion of the probation period).
||14245 - 56th Avenue
Surrey, British Columbia
V3X 3A2, Canada
||February 7, 2018 08:30 AM
||March 5, 2018 04:30 PM