||City of Surrey
This posting closed on
February 5, 2018
at 4:30 PM
||1888 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Planning and Development
||The City Architect is an advanced professional level position that requires considerable experience and expertise in urban design and the built environment. Reporting to the Division Manager of Area Planning and Development - South, this position involves reviewing large scale projects, coordinating the Advisory Design Panel, collaborating with the urban designers, and guiding Area Planners. The role also requires collaborating with clients and their consultants with the goal of ensuring the delivery of quality projects that will benefit the urban environment of the City. This position requires an individual that is innovative, inclusive, transparent and collaborative, with strong ethics and values.
||As the City Architect, you will:
• Assist staff in the formulation of policies and guidelines for urban design and city beautification;
• Review and evaluate architectural and urban design of major development inquiries and applications;
• Oversee and liaise with the Advisory Design Panel to ensure the effective function of the Advisory Design Panel;
• Provide technical and strategic direction and guidance to staff, developers and consultants;
• Attend Council meetings and participate as needed;
• Provide advice to City staff and City Council on urban and architectural design matters;
• Provide input to the preparation of the Official Community Plan and secondary plans;
• Provide input and advice to City staff on heritage conservation, evaluation of heritage buildings and related matters;
• Attend and provide design input to Public Arts Committee, Heritage Advisory Commission and other committees as required;
• Ensure consistency and sound judgement in decision-making and efficiency in processes and when necessary, take action that move issues to closure;
• Demonstrate proficiency in public relations techniques and conflict resolution;
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders including staff, the development community, community groups and the public;
• Communicate extremely well, both orally and in writing.
||As the successful candidate, you will:
• Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture;
• Have a minimum of ten years’ experience and practice in architectural design and urban design. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered;
• Be a member or fulfill the requirements for membership with the Architectural Institute of B. C or the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada;
• Have comprehensive knowledge of pertinent legislation and City bylaws and policies.
||If you are interested in this opportunity please apply at SurreyCareers.ca to Job ID 1888. Posting will remain online until the position is filled.
||14245 - 56th Avenue
Surrey, British Columbia
V3X 3A2, Canada
||January 9, 2018 08:30 AM
||February 5, 2018 04:30 PM