||City of Surrey
This posting closed on
September 11, 2017
at 12:00 PM
||1651 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Surrey Fire Services
||Guided by the Department’s emphasis on service, diversity, honour, respect, and teamwork the Surrey Fire Service provides support to the residents, communities, and businesses of Canada’s 12th largest city. We are looking for resilient, adaptable women and men who have goals & values that are aligned with those of the Surrey Fire Service, to provide the best emergency response and fire prevention initiatives possible. This is an exciting opportunity for individuals who are highly motivated and seeking a lifelong challenging and rewarding career as a Firefighter.
||Successful candidates will be required to perform a variety of job functions including, but not limited to: fire suppression, fire inspections, hydrant maintenance, fire prevention education, community initiatives and working with our communications professionals within the dispatch centre.
||Minimum Requirements to apply:
• Successful completion of the Surrey Fire Service Basic Firefighting Knowledge online Course* or equivalent**
• A current BC Provincial EMA First Responder License or higher level of EMA Licensing (EMR, PCP, ACP). We do not accept OFA licensing
• Grade 12 completion or equivalent
• Valid Class 3 or Class 1 Driver's License with air brake endorsement or equivalent for vehicles with more than two axles (automatic transmission is accepted) and a safe driving record.
• Two years or more of relevant accumulated work experience after high school completion (related work includes public service, emergency response, teacher/instructor, skilled trade, etc.)
• Legal entitlement to work in Canada (You must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant).
• Fluency in English (written and verbal).
• Good physical condition, and physically and psychologically suitable for the position of firefighter.
* The Surrey Fire Basic Knowledge Course is an online course where students will learn knowledge required to be a firefighter. Students who require this qualification will be given opportunity to sign up for the course, following the psychometric assessment review.
** Equivalency for the Basic Knowledge Course is considered to be applicants with NFPA 1001, Level 1 or Level 2 IFSAC or ProBoard certifications.
Preferred Qualifications: These additional skills and experiences will enhance your application, but do not replace the minimum qualifications:
• 30 post-secondary credits or greater (you will be asked to submit transcripts);
• one year minimum in an apprenticeship program;
• Military training;
• A history of volunteerism and community participation.
• Experience in team oriented activities or organizations.
• Past experience in emergency services: structural firefighting, forest fire service, Police, Coast Guard, EMS, Military, Nursing, or Search and Rescue.
• Knowledge of different cultures.
• Fluency in languages other than English.
• Coaching, teaching, or instructional experience.
• Demonstrated athletic or physical capabilities and achievements.
• Knowledge and ability to work effectively with computers, computer programs, and software.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
||This posting is closing on Monday September 11th, 2017 at noon.
Please apply online to www.surreycareers.ca
||August 30, 2017 08:30 AM
||September 11, 2017 12:00 PM