|General Manager, Finance
||City of Surrey
This posting closed on
May 14, 2017
at 4:30 PM
Surrey is a recognized municipal leader in financial accountability and it maintains a sustainable financial status through comprehensive financial management and meticulous planning. The City’s financial procedures and control systems are transparent, compliant and ensure sound long-term financial stewardship for its residents.
This role provides foundational financial leadership to the Council, the City Manager and senior management, for budgeting, long range financial planning, auditing, risk management, purchasing, taxes, payroll, and financial reporting. The General Manager Finance identifies innovation and global best practices to ensure Surrey is a thriving, green, inclusive City.
Reporting to the City Manager, and working collaboratively with the Senior Management Team (SMT) across City Departments, the General Manager Finance plans, controls and analyzes the financial transactions of the City in alignment with Council’s direction. The General Manager Finance provides strategic leadership, direction and structure for the City’s (and related utilities and entities) finance structures. As a member of SMT, this position participates in establishing corporate direction and in achieving corporate goals and objectives.
The General Manager Finance leads approximately 104 staff (both union and non-union) and manages key relationships with outside consultants, subject matter experts, vendors and contractors.
• Perform the statutory duties of a Financial Officer as outlined by Section 149 of the Community Charter.
• Direct all functions of the Finance Department, including financial planning, financing, financial reporting, accounting, budgeting, payroll, tax collection, auditing, risk management, and purchasing.
• Exercise general control of the overall accounting methods in accordance with generally recognized accounting principles, legislative standards, and the information requirements relating to finance and budgeting.
• Direct and coordinate financial impact and feasibility studies in regard to residential, commercial and industrial development and report to the City Manager and Council.
• Direct the preparation of rate studies for the various City utilities and enterprises.
• Develop strategic and operational plans. Develop and recommend various financial strategies, budgets and tax rates to Council.
• Direct the preparation of capital and revenue forecasts and report to City Council on funding/financing and prepare related economic reviews.
• Manage the RCMP Contract.
• Direct the preparation of financial information for release to the public and for publication.
• Attend City Council meetings and advise on financial and administrative matters.
The successful candidate possesses the communication skills necessary to motivate financial excellence within the City; inspires change, stimulating both staff and key stakeholders to embrace new technology; develops relationships within the City, and with key external stakeholders; acts as a Finance leader and advisor to City Council, City Manager, City Staff and outside agencies; and manages the complex and challenging change efforts necessitated by the size and diversity of operations of the City.
The successful candidate will hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration (Finance) or a related field, with a professional accounting designation. A post graduate degree is preferred. S/he will have ten (10) plus years of related experience in progressive leadership roles in complex organizations (preferably including experience in the public sector) with strong business acumen and technical understanding. S/he has a thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting associated with proven professional skills in municipal Finance.
Guided by our core values of Community, Integrity, Teamwork, Innovation and Service Excellence, the City of Surrey provides municipal government services to the residents and businesses of Canada's 12th largest city. We value the contributions of our 4000+ employees and are proud to be recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People. We’ve created a culture that reflects our desire to work collaboratively with our employees, our residents and our communities. Originally incorporated in 1879, the City of Surrey has received national and international awards for financial reporting, building excellence, recreation, policing and sustainability initiatives.
Surrey is set to be the most populous city in BC by 2041 and the Light Rail Transit project will help shape and focus this growth along the LRT corridors. With a capital cost of over $1B for the first phase of the project, this will be the largest capital project in our City’s history. Phase 1 will not only comfortably and efficiently transport over 18 million passengers per year, but will also transform Surrey into connected, complete and livable communities.
For further details about the position and the experience and skills required, please see the full job description: http://www.surrey.ca/files/GeneralManagerFinanceJobDescription.pdf
||April 20, 2017 08:30 AM
||May 14, 2017 04:30 PM