|Museum Assistant - Public Programs - Temporary Full-time
||Township of Langley
This posting closed on
April 30, 2017
at 4:30 PM
||17-B029 (Please quote job ID on resume when applying)
||Business and Cultural Services
||Applications are currently being accepted from dynamic and committed individual to fill a temporary full-time Summer Career Placements for the position of Museum Assistants – Public Programs, from approximately
May 15, 2017 to approximately September 1, 2017 (approx. dates are subject to change dependent on funding).
1. Duties and Responsibilities
As a student employee with the Recreation, Culture, and Parks Division of the Township of Langley, the successful incumbents will work on short-term projects and lead programs at the Langley Centennial Museum and Exhibition Centre.
The Museum Assistant – Public Programs will perform the following:
• Lead and implement cultural programs throughout the summer for children ages 6-12 years
• Develop themes and activities for summer programs and day camps for use in 2017
• Assist in the preparation of material for children’s programs and special outreach events
• Observe and monitor Youth Volunteers on a variety of projects, including participation in parades, special events, and community outreach events
• Assist the Arts and Culture Programmer in all aspects of public and special interest programming throughout the work term
• Other duties as may reasonably be assigned
The successful candidates will receive training in programming practices for different age levels of children, interaction with the general public, and customer service skills, as well as receive some general training in contemporary public museum practice.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to use and grow communication and artistic skills. By managing a group of children, through a variety of activities, you will be required to monitor and adapt activities for increased success; as well as use time management skills in order to ensure children complete their projects within previously determined and well-defined objectives.
2. Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills required for this position include:
• University student entering third or fourth year of study, with courses in one or more of the following disciplines: Education, History, Fine Arts, Museum Studies, Recreation, Event Planning, or other related field.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with program participants, staff, and general public
• Computer skills, including experience using word processing and internet searches
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Previous experience in a Museum environment would be an asset
• Previous experience working with children aged 6 to 12 is required
• Artistic aptitude would be an asset
• Can multitask and prioritize
• CPR-C & First Aid is an asset
3. Position dependent on funding and the following eligibility criteria:
• Must be a Canadian student, legally entitled to study and work in Canada. You must be registered with the Young Canada Works inventory at www.youngcanadaworks.ca and you must be between the ages of 16 and 30. You must also have been a full-time student in the semester preceding the YCW job and intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job. You must be willing to commit to a work assignment up to 16 weeks.
These positions are defined by the Township of Langley as positions of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal record check as a condition of employment (Note – Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please apply directly through our site at tol.ca/careers.
This competition will not close until the position is filled. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Langley Centennial Museum & Exhibition Centre is a community museum located in Fort Langley, British Columbia. More information is available at http://museum.tol.ca
9135 King Street, Fort Langley, BC
||Township of Langley
4th Floor Civic Facility
20338 65 Avenue
Langley, BC, V2Y 3J1
||March 28, 2017 08:30 AM
||April 30, 2017 04:30 PM